Legal Requirements of Hire

Legal Requirements of Hire

12 November 2018

Adhering to legal requirements not only protects you, but it also protects PAL Hire. Each product type offered to you has its own legal requirements which need to be met before it can be hired. Safety is vitally important when you hire from us. We do our utmost to protect your workforce and for us to do this, we ensure all parties follow legal practices.

Plant Hire

We’ve previously mentioned the different types of insurance offered for plant and machinery. PAL Hire offers HireGuard: an insurance product designed by the Hire Association of Europe for organisations hiring plant.

Alongside this, we also provide hired-in plant insurance. We’re aware you may hire plant from other companies but you may not receive the required insurance levels. Our standalone insurance product brings you under the PAL Hire umbrella and protects your equipment from theft, destruction, or any other mishaps.

All labourers operating machinery must be licensed and qualified. These qualifications ensure safety procedures are followed when heavy machinery is handled. All labourers must hold a CPCS card before operating plant. If you do not have the required level of skill on-site, we also provide the option of hiring owner operated plant.

Plant offered includes excavators, dumpers, and telehandlers. For a more detailed look at our plant, click here.


There are two strands when hiring skips. The first question that needs to be answered is where the skip will be placed. The second is what will be placed inside the skip.

If your skip is to be placed on a pavement or public road, you will require a legal license from your local council. When speaking to PAL Hire, we will obtain a licence on your behalf.

Most licences require your skip to not:

  • Block any pavements or entrance/exits
  • Block or cover utility access points
  • Be placed within 15m of a junction

To hire a skip, click here.

Hazardous Waste

The majority of skips allow you to dispose of anything in your house or garden, including dirt, rubble, or kitchen compartments. There are, however, certain types of waste that need to be disposed of using our hazardous waste service.

Items that must be disposed of using our hazardous waste service include:

  • Asbestos
  • Food
  • Oil/Petrol/Diesel
  • Explosives
  • Batteries

This is not an exhaustive list and further products can be found on our FAQs page.

Powered Access Equipment

The following covers MEWPs, boom and scissor lifts. All of which can be hired here.

Labourers utilising powered access equipment and working at height must hold a valid IPAF card. There are different types of qualifications for each type of powered access – ensure your operator holds the correct one.

In the same manner as plant and machinery, PAL Hire will only provide powered access if insurance is valid or purchased with the hiring of equipment.

To ensure safety of all involved in the process of operating powered access, those that enter the lift must be wearing suitable harnesses, lanyard, and climbing-type helmet.

Portable Toilets

Portable toilets cannot be placed on public property; they must be placed on private land. For health and safety reasons, toilets hired from PAL Hire cannot be placed indoors and must be accessible at all times to construction workers or event goers.


As mentioned in a previous article, the off-hire process has its own guidelines and requirements which must be followed. This article can be read here.